Theodore Roszak was born Poznań, Poland and emigrated to the United States at the age of two. From 1925 to 1926, he studied at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. In 1930, Roszak won the Logan Medal of the Arts, then moved to New York City to take classes at the National Academy of Design and at Columbia University. Roszak established a studio in New York City in 1932 and worked as an artist for the WPA before going back to Chicago to teach at the Art Institute. Roszak was an accomplished sculptor and violinist; he liked to use musical references and was known for his abstract metal sculptures of plants and animals. He taught at Sarah Lawrence College throughout the 1940s and 1950s. Roszak exhibited at Julien Levy Gallery, Piere Matisse Gallery, and Galerie Claude Bernard. Roszak also taught at Columbia University from 1970 to 1973. His works can be found in the Guggenheim, Whitney, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and Ulrich Museum of Art.