Ludwig Sander was born in Staten Island, New York in 1906. He studied in New York with George Elmer Brown and Alexander Archipenko in the 1920s in Paris, and at the Art Students League in New York. In the early-1930s, he studied in Munich with Hans Hoffman and returned to New York a few years later. In 1949, he co-founded The Club and became friends with other members such as Willem De Kooning, Franz Kline, Ad Reinhardt, and Conrad Marca-Relli. He is known for his geometric abstraction works that incorporate color field style. Sander’s colorful, rectangular,plane paintings have an effect of calming and meditative effect, enhanced by a soft lyricism. His work is in the collections of Metropolitan, Whitney, Guggenheim, Hirshhorn Museum, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and MIT Museum.